Monday 30 June 2008

Help! Hearts All Gone!

Allow me, if you please, just a little bit of vanity and pray with me that it does not turn into a worse fault. But should you experience something similar, do drop me a line, or if you prefer to let it remain a secret, it's okay too. After all, this is also a test of my ability to laugh at myself.

Judge me all you want but as a 'new kid on the blog', i have been fascinated by the pink and blue map on my side bar that tells me who have been visiting this page. Well, it actually only tells me the place where the hit has been made from, not the url, so anonymity is preserved. All the same, the places that appeared when i placed my curser on the pink 'hearts' have been simply fascinating. Kudos to the creative people at the amung.us project. Fantastic job! Makes me feel as if i was traveling without moving!


In the beginning i was simply delighted to see visitors from Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan; Bandar Maharani, Johor; Dungun, Terengganu; Penang, Kerteh, Semenyih, Seremban, Melaka or just simply Malaysia. Then, some time last month the 'hearts' informed that i had 2 visitors from Mountain View, California. I started wiki-ing the place to see if i had been there before, may be on my way to a factory outlet when i was in SF last year. The thrill of having visitors from the Silicon Valley was short-lived, though, as i came to realise that it was where Google HQ is situated. I am guessing that it must have been some visitors with another kind of interest, perhaps, or no interest at all. Ah, well...

The hearts kept increasing to a modest number, which soothed my ego no end, despite the fact that only one or two visitors left comments. On the Europe part of the map i had hearts marking visitors from Sant Just Desvern, Spain; Amsterdam Noord, Netherlands; Ile-de-France region, France; Nyon and Genve , Geneve; Madrid, Spain; Lisboa, Portugal; and in the UK; London, Sheffield, Bristol and Southampton. I started toying with the idea of writing about some of these places, the ones that i have visited, but well, time enough for that in the future, i thought.

Then on the American continent there were stars marking Burnaby BC, Ontario and Calgary, Canada while Vancouver was marked as Vancouver US...really? Anyway i have been to Vancouver about 3 times, and i had a friend who owns a hotel in Victoria on Vancouver Island, but we lost touch. Pity. But the sock-eyed salmon and portobello mushroom BBQ at my friend's in Burnaby remains unforgettable.

Moving down, there were hearts marking a few places in California, all the way down to SF, Azusa, LA and Baja, was that CA or TX? though i cannot imagine someone offroading in TX and rolling the blogs at the same time! Then moving eastwards there were hearts in Idaho and Kansas but i have forgotten the names of the towns/city, Pompano Beach Florida, South Carolina, Atlanta Georgia, Pennsylvania, Brooklyn New York and Natick, Mass, of course. There was even one heart at Santiago, Chile. Interesting.

In Asia, there were hearts indicating visitors from Ivanovo, Russia; Teheran, Iran; Istanbul, Turkey; Bangalore, Karnataka and Mumbai Maharashtra, India; and Male, Maldives. There was also indication of visitors from Bangkok, Thailand; Singapore and Brunei DS as well as one each from Hong Kong SAR and Japan.

I remember the last few visitors were from Morocco and Sydney, Australia; and New Zealand. That was about 2 days ago...now my map is empty of all hearts. "No Visitors To Display" Whaaattt?! And i am wondering...what on earth happened and what should i do? HELP!

6 comments:

Bebee said...

Actually i e-mailed the amung.us people and within 2 hours or so got a reply...some glitch at one of their data storage and they are trying to recover them.
Pas de probleme, i have a feedjit now but i still love my pink and blue map with the blinking hearts. Good luck guys!

Lee said...

Hi Bebee, here I am, from Toronto, Canada...12 hours behind your local time.
Yes, its fun to know, see have strangers come into our lives...some for a reason, some for a season, some a lifetime.
Happy blogging...and you will get more visitors...I for one, ha ha.
You have a nice day, Lee.

Lee said...

Hi Bebee, I just kliked on your heart, I mean the one on your map...Holy Smoke! It really showed where I am...almost showed my solarium too. Ha ha. Lee.

Bebee said...

Oh, u can see the hearts? i still cannot...but thanks for coming into my blogging life!
Going to bed now, so i guess u're probably about to grab lunch, at yr solarium? u have a nice day too!

cakapaje said...

Salam bebee,

I share your sentiment in seeing visitors, sometimes from cities we know one. That, and the fact very few of the visitors leave comments makes me wonder perhaps, we are being watched. Now, if a girl is on the other end, I surely would not mind; but if its a guy, especially someone carrying a badge, that does put in some thought, doesn't it?

However, over time, I found out that depending on the tracking system one use, they can be not entirely correct. For instance, through Alexa, it listed more than 40% of my visitors coming from Africa and Jamaica. I mean, hello! So far, I have only seen a handful from Africa and none from Jamaica.

Anyway, I look forward to your future entries on the places you've been to. I, for one, am particularly interested in Geographical History, especially when its related to Islam.

By the way, I must be blind to have only noticed the panel of bloggers and their latest entry on your blog. Blinder still, to not even noticed my blog's name there too, though I am flattered, thank you.

Bebee said...

Wa'alaikumussalam Cak,

Laaa, u are the one who left the most number of comments on my posts, my original blog friend! U like my blog Sifu la, how can u not be on my blog roll!

U are right, of course, about being watched; and i do pray that more and more of your watchers are girls, that they leave comments and that they don't wear badges.

Actually, the number of visitors is not all that important to me, i probably have too few that percentages would definitely mislead. I am just curious about places where the hits have been made from; bring back memories if i have been there and learn something new if i have not.

Btw, your toe has fully recovered, i hope. Take care!