Thursday 10 January 2008

No'k Kkabor Sse

Today is Ma'al Hijrah, the first day of Hijriyyah 1429, and I'd like to wish everybody A Happy New Hijriyyah Year, may all your hijrah be for the better, Aamiiin. Thank you Mad Redo1 for your kind wishes too!

So today, being a brand new day of a new year or the tenth day of a still new 2008, let me start again from the beginning.

This past month I have been reading Awang Goneng's Growing Up in Trengganu (GUiT), finishing the whole book in a day, then reading it all over again slowly, aloud, savouring every word in each and every expression of his Trengganuspeak. The writing of Che' Awang Goneng (it is impolite not to use Che' when referring to someone by name, do'k ggitu?) brings me back to the richness of life in Trengganu then; the memories made more vivid by Che' Awang's authentic Trengganuspeak of old, teganung peka't; the language with all its nuances in exactly the way it was in my childhood too.

I could go on forever on what a beautiful piece of work GUiT is, and what a wonderful writer Che' Awang is, or has always been if like me, you have been reading the NST articles by a certain Wan Ahmad Hulaimi in London, but let me just make a confession here that GUiT and Kecek-Kecek for that matter, has inspired me to channel some of my laptop time into writing (or typing as opposed to clicking the mouse on spider solitaire!) and thus, this blog was born, through my one and only other post on the last day of 2007. I am hoping that Che' Awang finds this admiration another compliment and will gently rein me in should the lines between influence, immitation and plagiarism become too much of a blur.

My other inspiration is of course Kak Teh; that long letter to her Sayang Mamas was simply beautiful, and to think, yours truly was there at the Bangsar reading too. For me, it was really a memorable first meeting with Kak Teh who kindly co-signed my GUiT after Che' Awang did. No, I am not that lady who bought ten copies, only managed to grab five!

Thank you again for the autograph
...a most appreciative fan...

Doh ggitu ah, no'k gi dok ddapor pulo'k!

3 comments:

Awang Goneng said...

Terima kasihlah doh nok wak guane. Ambe sangak terharu bbaca tulisang saudari lebih-lebih lagi sebak ambe baru je balek dari Teganung. Kalu ambe dapak beri ilhang kepada anok-anok (dang ibu-ibu kita) supaya nnuleh bok sapa penoh keda Pok Loh Yunang itu doh mmada sangaklah rasanya. Terima kasih sekali lagi.

mad redo1 said...

"No, I am not that lady who bought ten copies, only managed to grab five!"

nau dek wang hak mi roling ong de flor dis moning... hehehe...

Bebee said...

To Che' Awang;
Thank you for your komeng, the fact that you actually read my post is already a great honour indeed!
Now it looks like work is monopolising my laptop time... first there was preparation for the landing of the eagle people in KL in the middle of Jan...immediately followed by preparation and then travel to that organisation trying to regulate world trade...now i'm actually in my daughter's room in Nottingham (She says thank you for the autograph) catching my breath and dok bbeto ora'k sendi before the flight back to KL tomorrow evening. But I haven't given up blogging yet...we'll see! salam to Kak Teh and your children...

To Che' Mad Redo1;
Doh bakpe dok berahi suke ko'k rang tu! ambe beli sse sorang ke ano'k ambe,...no'k suroh nye ambek tahu hal ehwal Teganung retek...pah ggati hok ambe sse doh nye ambek dorang hok mula tu!...Actually ambe melawa't sokmo blog Che' Mad, kadang dok tengoh bz do'kleh no'k komeng! you are very informative on Teganung! Keep it up!